Latino Educational Training Institute (LETI) has recently been approved and licensed to provide vocational training in Washington State. Initial emphasis will be on retraining injured workers for new types of careers that do not impose rigorous physical training requirements for employment.
LETI se ha apropado recientemente por el estado de Washington para ofrecer entrenamiento vocacional. El inacpié inicial sera en reëntrenar a obradores lesionados en su trabajo para comenzar con careras que no requieren esfuerzos físicos para empleo.
Mission & VisionThe Latino Educational Training Institute strives to facilitate the personal and financial success of Spanish-speaking and bilingual persons as well as to inspire Latinos/as to pursue their dreams and become leaders in their communities. Our mission is to provide Latino injured workers a fast-tracked education and basic academic knowledge in Computer Technology, ESL, and GED preparation to help them advance from a low-English level to a college ready English level while preparing them for a successful entry into a vocational certificate program or other post-secondary program. Our vision is to prepare first generation Latino immigrants, specifically injured workers with the skills and knowledge to gain or upgrade employment in order to obtain financial independence so that they may positively and productively contribute to their own family and local community.
HistoryLatino Educational Training Institute (LETI) is a private, non-profit, 501(c) (3) organization located in Lynnwood, Washington, that serves the Latino Community in Snohomish and Skagit counties. It was founded in 1998 to address the lack of adequate information and resources within the Latino community.
LETI is not alone in its efforts to support the Latino immigrant community. We work with and support the efforts of community partners such as Lutheran Community Services Northwest “Familias Unidas” and El Centro de la Raza. While we are all working toward the same goal of a successful Latino immigrant community, LETI differentiates itself in a couple of ways. Geographically, LETI concentrates its efforts in Lynnwood and South Snohomish County. Familias Unidas does have a Lynnwood presence but is primarily focused on Health Care and referral services. Likewise, El Centro de la Raza is a fixture in Seattle and King County but has no presence in Snohomish County. Additionally, LETI is differentiated by its primary focus on education and leadership for youth and adults.
Within the non-profit and educational community, LETI has a Memorandum of Understanding with Edmonds Community College, UW Bothell, and Financial Beginnings to work together in support of education for the Latino community. From its beginnings LETI has been dedicated to ongoing work in the areas of education, economic development and homeownership among the community at large and specifically among first-generation Latino immigrants in Snohomish County.
For the past five years LETI has coordinated and directed the Latino Leadership Initiative (LLI) in coordination with Edmonds Community college, Everett Community College and Skagit Valley College. Each of the colleges recruit 10 Latino students to participate in this annual program. Over the course of six months these 30 students are taught leadership skills, as well as the history of Latinos in Washington State. They have the chance to meet and learn from professors, politicians and community leaders. In addition to the program curriculum, LETI leverages its 20+ years of community work and relationships to secure summer internships for the LLI graduates.
LETI seeks to continue to expand and formalize its programs that focus on serving Latino immigrants in low income households who have limited English language skills and a limited understanding of the financial and educational systems of the United States. If we are to promote economic development, financial success, and homeownership in the Latino community, community members must know how to manage their financial assets and have a clear understanding of the standard practices of the American financial system.
What LETI Academy OffersWith well-qualified bilingual- bicultural instructors, the use of laptop computers with online access, culturally appropriate educational instruction and low instructor-student ratio, we aim to assist students to craft and achieve their educational goals. Facilities
The Latino Educational Training Institute Training Center is located at 6605 202nd St. SW, Lynnwood, Washington 98036, ph 425-775-2688. We are conveniently located right off of Hwy 99 in Lynnwood, and only one block away from Edmonds Community College Transit Center. Our maximum class size is 15 students, and the student/teacher ratio is 15:1. Our staff are dedicated to providing students the support, tools, and comfortable environment that they need to succeed, including on site computers and business machines.
- Rees Clark, School Director, Instructor
- PhD, Geography, The Pennsylvania State Univ.; MA, Geography, California State Univ., Los Angeles; BA, Political Science, Univ. of California, Los Angeles
- Diana Morelli-Klima, Instructor
- Ph. D., Romance Languages and Linguistics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA; M. A., Romance Languages and Literature, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.; B. A., Spanish, Language Arts and Provisional Washington State Teaching Certificate, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- Beatriz Koteles, Instructor
- University of Washington, Seattle, WA - Foster School of Business -Completion of the Business Certificate Program; Money Management International, Everett, WA - Certified Money Management Volunteer Program; Completion of the ParaPro Assessment (Paraeducator Exam) by ETS; University of La Salle, Bajio; Nuevo Leon, México - School of Tourism and Hotel Management - Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) Major Hospitality Management.
- Maria Urrunaga, Instructor
- Bachelor Degree in Business Administration- Accountant emphasis, Pontifical Catholic University, Lima, Peru; Associate in Applied Arts and Science Business Technology, Shoreline Community College, Shoreline, WA; Tax Preparation Certificate in Personal Income Tax, H & R Block, Lynnwood, WA
LETI Officers 2018-2019
- Rosario Reyes, Founder and President
- Rees Clark, Ph.D., Vice President
- Diana Morelli-Klima, Ph.D., Secretary
- Rees Clark, Ph.D., Vice President
UPDATE 16 OCT 2019: The opening date for the LETI Vocational School has been changed to January 6, 2020.